Job interview preparation – Good questions you could ask at the job interview
Any decent headhunter/recruiter would in a job interview situation at some time ask you if you have any questions. Probably it would be at the end of the interview.
If it has been a bad interview and you don’t like the position/don’t want the job, just say no and get out of there. But if you still like the position you should have prepared some questions beforehand if they has not been answered. Out of courtesy to the headhunter/recruiter’s time you should ask how much time they have for these questions. In this way you can ask the most important questions if the time is limited.
To prepare for this you should have done some thinking before you enter the interview but also throughout the meeting you should make some mental notes to prepare for this. If you have anything you would like to elaborate on or you want to have something clarified, now is the time to ask.
By asking you also show the company that you care and that you are interested in this job. You have the opportunity to interview the employer to assess whether this company and this specific position is a good fit for you.
Possible Interview Questions to Ask
- What are the responsibilities of the position?
- How would you typical week/day be in this position?
- Is this a newly created position? If not, what did the previous employee go on to do?
- Whom will I report to? and will I be offered a change to meet this person?
- How many employees will there be in this department/office?
- Do you have a relocation scheme in the company?
- What about travel, how much will be expected? Is there a travel policy in the company?
- What style of management is the company using?
- What are the prospects for advancement in the company?
- Is overtime expected, and is there a policy for that?
- What is the “one” special thing that you like about working in this company?
- Would you like to have a list of references?
- If I am offered this position , when will I have to start (date)?
- Do you have any question to my qualifications / Resume?
- Will there be a interview number 2, or do you have a special procedure for hiring people? (2 job interview and a personal test) or?
- Do you have any outstanding question you would like to have answered?
- When can I expect to hear from you again?
Off course this is not a final list, depending on the situation and the chemistry at the job interview, you should be able to read the person you’re talking with and know which question to ask and which not to ask.